What are the common side effects of tooth whitening?
3 September 2023
A radiant smile can boost confidence, and tooth whitening is a popular cosmetic procedure that aims to achieve just that. Whether it’s done professionally or at home, tooth whitening has become a go-to choice for many individuals looking to enhance their smiles. However, like any procedure, tooth whitening comes with its share of potential side effects.
Understanding Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening involves the use of various techniques to lighten the shade of your teeth. This can be achieved through over-the-counter products or professional treatments performed by a dentist. Over-the-counter options include whitening toothpaste, strips, and trays with a lower concentration of whitening agents. Professional methods, on the other hand, often use higher concentrations and may involve in-office treatments or custom-made trays for home use.
5 Common Side Effects of Tooth Whitening
- Tooth Sensitivity: One of the most common side effects of tooth whitening is increased tooth sensitivity. This occurs when the whitening agents penetrate the enamel, leading to temporary discomfort when consuming hot, cold, or acidic foods and beverages.
- Gum Irritation: Some individuals may experience gum irritation or inflammation due to the contact of the whitening agents with the soft tissues. This can cause temporary discomfort or soreness.
- Enamel Erosion: Overusing whitening products or using products with abrasive agents can lead to enamel erosion. Enamel is the protective layer of your teeth, and its erosion can result in heightened sensitivity and other dental issues.
- Uneven Whitening: Achieving perfectly even whitening results can be challenging. Some teeth might whiten more than others, leading to an uneven appearance.
- Allergic Reactions: Although rare, some individuals may be allergic to the ingredients present in whitening products, resulting in allergic reactions like itching or rash around the mouth.
How to Manage and Prevent These Side Effects
Tooth sensitivity and gum irritation can often be managed by using desensitising toothpaste or applying fluoride treatments. It’s important to follow the instructions provided with the whitening products and avoid prolonged or excessive use. Professional guidance from our dentist can help ensure the correct application of the whitening agents and minimise the risk of side effects.
Before embarking on a tooth whitening journey, it’s crucial to consider any pre-existing dental conditions. Individuals with gum disease, cavities, or other oral health issues should consult our dentist before using whitening products. Our dentist can evaluate your oral health and recommend the most suitable whitening approach for your needs.
Why Choose Coniston Dental Practice for Tooth Whitening?
At Coniston Dental Practice, we take pride in our pristine reputation for providing one of the finest cosmetic tooth whitening treatments in West Byfleet, Surrey. Our dedicated team of professionals is committed to creating beautiful, white smiles. Our mission is to maintain our position as a leading provider of tooth whitening in Surrey, offering top-quality dental treatments to all our customers. The bleaching technology we employ ensures instant and long-lasting results. Rest assured, our Practice Manager and receptionists will work together to deliver professional tooth whitening and exceptional care to each and every one of our valued patients.
What Our Patients Say
Dr Nell is a fantastic dentist. Jolly, reassuring, and extremely knowledgeable. I am sad to be leaving and moving out of the area, as he and his team are outstanding.
Fantastic! Extremely welcoming and very friendly, great advice, very professional, sensible pricing. I’m a new customer and like many perhaps anxious moving to a new practice, but I felt completely at ease and comfortable throughout, it’s refreshing to have ‘old school’ service and logical advice. I can highly recommend these ladies and gents! 😁
Honestly after 10 years of never going to dentist due to fear, im so happy i came here after my sisters recommendation. Helena is amazing, she made me feel at ease, was very patient with me. Finally i can go to dentist without a complete meltdown.Thank you so much for helping me.
Fantastic from the moment I walked through the door. Made to feel welcome by the lovely ladies on reception. Sadaf done an amazing job and was so caring whilst doing the work, so pleased. Thank you!
Joined this new local dental practice on 10/5/23 and had my 6 monthly checkup with dentist, having previously filled out online health questionnaire & having had my dental history sent from previous practice. It was the most thorough checkup ever. Everyone was very caring & very professional. Very informative Dentist, charming dental nurse and friendly reception staff. Booked hygienist for the following week. Very impressed with my first visit. Its very local to me which is a bonus. Would definitely recommend the practice.Thank you Coniston.
Wonderfull dentist and hygenist services here.. used to come as a kid and after a recent visit with my mother with disability issues I have chosen to get back on their books.. Everyone from front of house through to the doctors has been so pleasant to deal with making what could possibly be something quite stressful nice and simple
We are conveniently located on the📍Old Woking Road📍adjacent to the Waitrose Supermarket and next door to the Medivets Veterinary Hospital. Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.
- By Car: There are a number of car parks close by, including the Waitrose car park.
- By Bus: There are bus stops in Old Woking Road within a few yards of the surgery. In addition there are bus stops for routes a short walk away in Station Approach. See the Surrey County Council website for bus timetables.
- By Train: The closest station is West Byfleet which is within easy walking distance. West Byfleet is served by trains operated by South West Trains.
- Disabled Access: We have wheelchair access to the ground floor, and a stair lift up to the first floor. We have wheelchair access to a toilet.
- Special parking arrangements: Available on request.
Book your appointment now
Simply provide us with your contact information to book an appointment for Tooth Whitening at Coniston Dental Practice now: